Don't miss

Sunday, February 23, 2014

Chargers' Nick Hardwick spurns retirement comment


By on 2/23/2014 10:00:00 PM

At the age of 32, San Diego Chargers' center Nick Hardwick has been pondering the idea of retiring from the NFL. Hardwick is the final year of his three-year contract with the Bolts, and has decided to come back and honor his contract by spurning retirement.

Jeffrey Beall, Wikimedia Commons

Hardwick told U T San Diego that he "expects to play next season," and that he is "excited about it." Hardwick first spoke of retirement earlier in the season after suffering painful injuries to his head and neck. He spoke candidly about needing time off before making a final decision, and after a month of vacation time, the fan-favorite has decided against a beach-heavy lifestyle.
“I wanted to take a month off where I didn’t have to think about football,” Hardwick said. “I just wanted to be honest with where my body is, where my brain is, where we’re at and where we want to go. Just give an honest assessment. My body feels great. My brain feels great. I do think there’s better football ahead of me.”
Hardwick is a veteran cog on the Chargers' young offensive line, and has excellent rapport with quarterback Philip Rivers. Losing Hardwick to retirement would have been a huge blow for the Chargers, and it is also worth noting that running back Ryan Mathews experienced growth at the end of the year with Hardwick calling the shots up front.

The Chargers can ease their minds on addressing the center position in this year's NFL Draft, but will be prudent and snag a talented young player late in the draft with the hope that he can develop behind the savvy Hardwick.


Follow Sean on Twitter @49ersDefenseWins and @AFCSouthInjury. Don't miss him on Facebook and Google Plus as well.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
73eccce7a3ad1b23db7f38e1b8fed842050545899fe4d7b648

621dcbec1b2d3274560a101af3a95ae769e316e0